The massive renovation project of the glittering jewel on Cape Town’s Platinum Mile reaches the halfway mark next month, with work being put on hold until next year for the Mother City’s 24/7 summer party season.
The Protea Hotel President’s renovations started in October last year and after a 2010/2011 summer break, three floors of the hotel will be complete by the end of the next month.
The hotel’s stylish conference venues have also seen the decorator’s touch in this phase, as have the public areas.
Hotel General Manager Debra Sivertsen said the refurbishment in the private areas had been extensive.
- Flat screen TVs in all new rooms;
- Stylish laminate flooring replacing carpets;
- The replacement of all curtains;
- An elegant four- or six-seater glass table with leather chairs in all rooms that previously featured bar counters;
- All rooms equipped with semi-self catering kitchens including microwaves and fridges as well as the normal tea/coffee facilities;
- All bathrooms in the standard rooms brought up to date with rimless glass showers only, or glass protected showers over baths; and
- The replacement of furniture, making the new rooms a calm study of light wood, white linen and cream, with touches of accent colour to produce a clean, modern and sophisticated look.
Sivertsen said substantial changes had been made in the restaurant and bar: “We now have two lovely lounge areas and the bar is decorated in rich reds and purples accenting the soothing grey, black and brown tones.
“The conference rooms have also been repainted in a soft grey and the carpets have been replaced.”
Protea Hospitality Group Marketing and Advertising Manager Nicholas Barenblatt said the hotel’s transformation was stunning.
“The renovation has taken the Protea Hotel President into a new league. It is one of three Atlantic Seaboard Protea Hotels that have undergone multi-million rand refurbishments this year and one of 13 nationally.
“The work on all the properties is taking these hotels to a level that exceeds GUEST expectations and demonstrates the brand freshness that embodies today’s Protea Hotels.”
Refurbishment of the Protea Hotel President will resume in autumn next year and should be completed before summer 2012.