August 2013: The Protea Hotel Marine in Port Elizabeth was named best hotel in the province in the inaugural Lilizela Tourism Awards this week.
These awards were created by SA Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk earlier this year. According to the awards website they “recognise, celebrate and praise the excellent work of an industry that’s created – and that sustains – fantastic tourist arrivals growth to South Africa”.
The Lilizela Tourism Awards:
• Recognise and celebrate tourism excellence;
• Reward the people who deliver excellence in tourism;
• Encourage key players and establishments to strive for excellence;
• Contribute towards South Africa’s global destination competitiveness;
• Motivate the tourism industry to keep on striving for excellence; and
• Give the public a voice that counts.
The Protea Hotel Marine is owned by the Hospitality Property Fund. CEO Andrew Rogers says: “We are delighted that the Management and STAFF at the hotel have been recognised for their ongoing efforts in placing GUEST satisfaction as their top priority. The recent refurbishment of the hotel has also ensured that the competitiveness of the product is maintained. It’s especially pleasing to note that this award benchmarked a number of newer competitor products against the hotel and we express our appreciation to all of the STAFF at the hotel. “
Protea Hospitality Group Director of Sales, Marketing and Revenue, Danny Bryer, says the recently refurbished hotel is in the desirable suburb of Summerstrand and very close to the ocean.
“The location alone makes it a very special hotel, but that is enhanced by the friendly and professional STAFF and well appointed accommodations. This award is well deserved.”