June 2013: The annual TripAdvisor Excellence Awards has seen the number of Protea Hospitality Group properties honoured rise from 20 last year to a massive 34 in 2013.
Hotels that make it onto the international awards list are those that consistently achieve outstanding traveller reviews.
African Pride Hotels and Protea Hotels in 7 of the 8 African countries in which the Protea Hospitality Group has hotels in operation received awards. Hotels are also under construction in Rwanda and Ghana, which brings to 10 the number of countries where the brand is represented.
To qualify for the Certificate of Excellence hotels must maintain an overall rating of four or higher, out of a possible five, as reviewed by travellers on TripAdvisor. Additional criteria include the volume of reviews received within the past 12 months.
Protea Hospitality Group CEO Arthur Gillis says the hotels have worked hard to create spaces that are inviting to GUESTS, both from an environment and service perspective.
“Awards of this nature are down to the STAFF that works in these hotels. It’s only through their positive customer engagement that these awards are earned.
“The Protea Hospitality Group’s service ethos is to exceed GUEST expectations, and these hotels honoured by TripAdvisor have clearly lived up to this brand promise.”
Gillis says the fact that PHG hotels across Africa have received awards was indicative of the superior nature of hospitality across the continent.
“As Africans we don’t have to stand back for anyone; our hotels are equivalent or superior to any you’d find in the world and we will continue to grow from strength to strength.”
The South African Protea Hospitality Group hotels to receive the awards are:
- African Pride Crystal Towers Hotel & Spa
- African Pride 15 on Orange Hotel
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
- African Pride Irene Country Lodge
- African Pride Pumba Private Game Reserve
- Arabella Hotel and Spa, part of African Pride Hotels
- Protea Hotel Balalaika Sandton
- Protea Hotel Wanderers
- Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport - Kempton Park
- Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch
- Protea Hotel Victoria Junction Waterfront
- Protea Hotel The Ranch
- Protea Hotel Knysna Quays
- Protea Hotel Umhlanga
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Protea Hotel Nelspruit
- Protea Hotel The Winkler
- Protea Hotel Hazyview
- Protea Hotel Clarens
- Protea Hotel North Wharf Waterfront
- Protea Hotel Cape Castle Waterfront
- Protea Hotel Hilton
- Protea Hotel Mossel Bay
- Protea Hotel Franschhoek
Additional awards across Africa have been made to:
- Protea Hotel Victoria Island – Nigeria
- Protea Hotel Courtyard – Tanzania
- Protea Hotel Amani Beach – Tanzania
- Tribe Hotel - Kenya
- Protea Hotel Ryalls – Malawi
- Protea Hotel Livingstone – Zambia
- Protea Hotel Lusaka – Zambia
- Protea Hotel Kampala – Uganda